There are a lot of hair tutorials out there that will provide you the stepwise process of curling your hair. Most of the instructions on the net can be a bit difficult to follow.
Some are straight unreadable. In this article, we are going to be providing you an impressive stepwise instruction for creating some of the best hairstyles that you have ever seen. So, without wasting any more time, let us begin.
What do you need for curling your hair?
To make this article more accessible and to make you able to follow our lead, you should get the following items first:
- A good quality flat iron
- A curling iron (either spring-loaded or professional)
- A large cutting or detangling comb
- A thermal heat spray
- A styling brush
What do you need to know before curling your hair?
These are the things that you should definitely keep in mind before you go any further:
Practice curling your hair with a curling or a flat iron when it turned off. This will come in handy. This technique will allow you to curl your hair without burning yourself. After you feel confident enough, then you can always turn on the heat and start curling.
Before curling your hair, make sure to use a heat protectant spray. This is very important to the health of your hair. Heat can destroy the internal structure of your hair and even decrease it’s longevity. So, always remember to use a heat protectant spray.
The maximum temperature that you need is around 390 F. Do not increase your temperature beyond this threshold. If you use heat more than this, your hair color can become dull and even fade. So, turn your irons down to this temperature before you start styling.
How to Curl You’re like a professional?
To curl your hair like a professional, first, you need a curling iron. Once you get a curling iron then you can apply different types of techniques. There are different techniques to create different hairstyles such as loose curls, tight curls, elegant waves, and you can even combine these techniques for even better results.
So, let us start!
Also, check- Curling Iron For African American Hair
Flat Wrap Curl
To do a flat wrap curl, the first item that you are going to need is a 1-inch curling iron. And the initial step would be to, you guessed it right! To apply heat protectant spray. Now, this technique will give you a wide volumetric curl. The final result will be a tight, wide, and dense curl.
To do this technique, we urge you to use wider sections about 1 and a half-inch to 2-inch section. The main thing to remember is to keep your hair wrapped flat against the barrel of the curling iron without twisting t too much.
You need to adjust your hands each time you go around the iron. If you don’t do this then the hair will naturally twist and it would be problematic.
The instructions for this hairstyle is given below:
- Take a vertical section and make it moist with a thermal heat spray to protect your hair from the heat.
- Now use a wide-tooth comb to evenly spread the spray throughout your hair.
- Now select the direction you want the hair to curl. It can either be towards your face or away from it.
- Focus on keeping the section flat while still wrapping it around the curling iron. Do not twist your hair around the iron.
- Now, continue to wrap the hair around the iron until you get to it’s ending.
For a lazy curl style, you need a 1-inch curling iron and you can use this iron to make loose curls. Just take the iron and wrap your hair around it. But only halfway down and then switch wrapping directions for the remaining section. Change the direction of the curl and leave the ends out. It will give you a more relaxed type of wave.
The instructions are as follows:
- Start with your first section and then moist out the hair with thermal heat spray.
- Apply the spray from 6 inches away to protect the hair. Now, gather the section and increase the elevation to 90 degrees with the index finger and maybe the thumb as well.
- The second step is to place the curling iron in front of the section. Keep the barrel of the iron behind the section.
- While you are holding the section, face the thumbnail up first and then wrap your hair around the iron. Remember not to twist.
- After you have finished wrapping, again hold the section and roll the iron. Now, close near the scalp.
- You need to allow the section to heat completely before moving on to another one.
- While you are holding the section, remove the barrel from the hair. Now turn the barrel so, it is not in front of the section.
- The next step would be to place the iron in the exact spot where you did your last curl. Repeat this process. Remember the steps as a flat wrap, roll, and close!
- When you are at the end of a section, you can comb through your hand to separate the curls.
For spiral curls, you need a 1-inch curling iron and a heat protectant as well. Just like the wrap or lazy curl, you need to work in sections here and the hair is first twisted (from the top to the ends). Now, you can wrap the twisted section around the curling iron to make a spiral. The end result would be a tight spiral with added textures.
The instructions are pointed below:
- The first step here is to take a small section and, just like in our previous instructions, use thermal heat spray to moist out the hair.
- The distance is also the same, six inches. Twist the entire section from base to end and you can also braid the section of hair.
- The key here is to twist the section in such a way that you need to curl it in all the direction. Twist and wrap in the outward direction from your face.
- Now wrap the entire twisted section around your curling iron and let it heat up properly.
Take your curling iron out now.
- You need to provide time for the curls to cool. Once your entire hair is curled, the next step would be to shake the curls. This will add more volume to it.
You can use either a curling wand or a curling iron to implement this technique. It is called a celebrity wave because it gives you a nice looking wave.
But there are a lot of instructions to follow so, bear with us for this one. The first thing you need to do is to start off like the flat wrap or lazy technique then you should twist your hair as you do in the spiral technique.
The instructions are given below:
- Start like usual. You might know by now what we mean by that. You need to first apply thermal heat spray from, you guessed it, six inches away.
- Now just like we did in the previous instruction. Elevate the hair to 90 degrees using your fingers.
- Now place the curling iron in front of the section. The barrel goes behind the section.
- Hold the section now, face the thumbnail up. You know what’s coming now, right? TWIST! Yes, twist the hair now.
- Remember to slide down and wrap. Slide the hair up and wrap it around the barrel and then close the blade. Quite Simple!
- Repetition is the key now. You need to repeat this action till your section gets curled. What’s the action? Wrap, Twist, Up- Down (Thumbnail). When the section ends, let go of the iron but keep holding the section.
- Now, While you are holding the end of the section with the thumbnail, you need to turn the curling iron in the opposite direction.
- This will get you more tension which, in turn, allows the heat to curl your hair properly.
- You can now release the thumb. The next step is to place the palm of your hand underneath the barrel of the iron. Just catch the hair in the palm.
- If you drop the hair without catching it, the section would stretch and become pretty loose.
- With the section in the palm apply some hairspray.
- Now comes the tricky part. Compress the section in a pancake shape and then allow the hair to cool down. You can now release the hair.
- With a styling brush, comb through your hair holding the ends. Let the waves relax now.
- You can also add some oil serum to tame any frizzy looking hair strand. The oil will also boost the shine of your hair.
So, this is how you curl your hair with like a professional. Yes, there are a lot of other styles you can do and you can also mix match the instructions given here to make your own style. It’s not just about following the instructions. You need to be creative as well.
Creativity can come in different ways. Always try out new techniques but do remember to master the basics.
When you have mastered the A, B, C, D, you can create your own sentences! The same thing is applied here. First, get the basics right and then move up the ladder. Anyway, you can definitely style your hair like a professional if you just choose to follow these instructions.